it’s a bit early in the midnight hour for me

16, i stay up too late

And so back to the as yet unnamed series! We’re in the second half now, 16 of 30. This is me looking up at my shelf. The middle part of the words have been expressed before. Oh, I have always stayed up late. I seem unable to let go of the day, for some reason. It’s not simply, “I can’t sleep”, not that at all, it’s just I don’t get tired until late. I get a burst of energy, my mind starts thinking of all these things, I draw pictures, I don’t know. Whenever I have tried to go to bed earlier, I do lie in bed awake, unable to sleep, or I wake up at all sorts of funny hours. When I was younger though, I used to be able to stay up all night, no problem; nowadays if I do that I’m suffering for days. That’s age, I guess. I’m not descended from early-to-bedders, either.

Prisoner Cell Block H…now that was my favourite show. I watched it for years; it was the first run in the UK, but it was many years behind Australia. Bea Smith, the Freak, Vinegar Tits Vera Bennett, Frankie Doyle, all classic characters. Now of course I’m going to get google search engines sending fellow Prisoner fans this way. The search engines have been sending some funny things here lately. On WordPress they tell you which searches have led people to your blog. I wish I’d documented them all, some have been hilarious. “Pissing at bus-stop” for some bizarre reason sends people here; why are so many people googling that though? “Arsenal Sketchbook” sent someone here once. But today I noticed that someone googled “Peter Scully my tour guide was useless”, and came to my blog (was that you? if so, what’s that all about?). That made me crack up laughing. Is it someone telling me about their useless tour guide, or are they saying that I was their guide and was useless (which I would contest, since I’ve not been a tourguide myself for many years so nobody who took my tour would remember my name, and anyway, I was bloody good…). Either way, I won’t lose any sleep over it. If I ever go to bed, that is.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “it’s a bit early in the midnight hour for me

1. Speck says:

I’m a night owl, have been since I was a wee babe. My brain kicks into creative high gear about 11:00 PM and finally tires around 6:00 AM. I really should get a job on the graveyard shift.

When asked about my strange hours I tell people I’m either 1) Second cousin to a vampire; 2) Living on Toyoko time; or 3) a Moon Goddess. That last one makes ’em snort coffee out their nose.

2. Pyracantha says:

I am just like what you describe. Just recently, this all-nighter pattern has been diagnosed as a disorder… called “delayed sleep phase disorder.” So we are now declared abnormal….diseased….sick. Do we get an advocacy group? Disability rights?

3. Speck says:

I discovered my night-owl habits are merely my biological imperative to be a proper Southern Belle. Validation was found in “Being Dead is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral”, by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays (edited here for space considerations):

“Like Count Dracula, who was from a lovely old family, Southern ladies of a certain ilk and age only come alive at night. One or two in the morning is the normal bedtime for the night-owl belle. She sits up all night smoking cigarettes, watching TV, or drinking gin. While the rest of us are in bed getting our zzz’s, the night-owl belle is flipping through her TV Guide, searching for Dynasty reruns, and not even thinking about applying her Swiss Performing lotion for another hour or so. The night-owl belle won’t want to make conversation at an hour she regards as daybreak, which, roughly translated, is any time before midday.”

4. thisisalloneword says:

It’s not so much that fact that someone obviously had a rubbish tour guide called Peter Scully and they wanted to tell the wide internet community that.
    It’s more that they wanted to search for others who had found Peter Scully to be a rubbish tour guide.
    Maybe there’s not yet a support group network for these victims of the person who has obviously stolen you identity and his less than average tour guide info. This imposter is out there then my guess is he looks a bit like you but with a goatee beard, a constant hangover and tourettes.

Anyway – nice to see you over here Pete!

5. Peter Scully says:

I like astromomy but am unable to stay awake much past midnight so i would make a very poor guide for the heavens. I do have a goatie as discribed by “thisisalloneword” so perhaps this is a warning against choosing a career as a guide.

6. davidhaimes.wordpress.com says:

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your

web site, how could i subscribe for a blog
    site? The account aided me a

acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear

idea