Check out my new book: “Creative Sketching Workshop” (2015)
It is published by North Light Books in North America, Apple Press in the U.K. and Tan Yang International in Asia. My sketch above features the British and American covers. The book consists of 21 chapters – workshops – written by twelve different artists, myself included from all around the world. The workshops are themed along the sort of lines an urban sketcher might encounter, such as ‘tall structures’, ‘deserted spaces’, ‘drawing a crowd’, and of course ‘bar sketching’ (quite a few of my bar sketches in there!). I’m absolutely thrilled and honoured to be in their company! You will love their work. If you would like to get to know them better, check out their websites in the links below!
My eleven brilliant co-contributors are…
- James Hobbs (http://www.james-hobbs.co.uk/) – London, UK
- Virginia Hein (http://worksinprogress-location.blogspot.com/) – Los Angeles, USA
- Nina Johansson (http://www.ninajohansson.se/) – Stockholm, Sweden
- Ilga Leimanis (http://ilgaleimanis.com) – London, UK
- Kumi Matsukawa (https://www.flickr.com/photos/macchann/) – Tokyo, Japan
- Shiho Nakaza (http://www.shihonakaza.com/) – Santa Monica, USA
- Melanie Reim (http://www.melaniereim.com/index.htm) – New York, USA
- Rita Sabler (http://www.portlandsketcher.com/) – Portland, USA
- Liz Steel (http://www.lizsteel.com/) – Sydney, Australia
- Paul Wang (https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflyworkshop/) – Singapore
- Samantha Zaza (http://szaza.com/) – Morocco
That’s five continents right there. And along with me, twelve very individual approaches to sketching. Some of my long-time sketching heroes are on this list.
Where to buy the book: obviously at your local independent bookstore, that’s my recommendation! In Davis, the Avid Reader on 2nd St will be stocking it. But for the rest of the world buying online…
- North Light Shop – direct from the publisher in the US, and they have free shipping on orders over $25, so get another great book too (such as James Hobbs, ‘Sketch Your World‘!)
- Amazon (US) .
- Amazon (UK) .
And some reviews already…
- Parka (Teoh Yi Chie) wrote a very nice review of the book on his website, ParkaBlogs: http://www.parkablogs.com/content/book-review-creative-sketching-workshop-pete-scully
- Cherie Haas at Artists Network wrote a great article about the book, focusing on my chapter about drawing a series, specifically my drawings of my son’s shoes: http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/sketching-idea-choose-a-specific-subject-and-draw-a-series
- Larry Marshall posted a nice review of the book on his website (and he is a fellow fire-hydrant sketcher, so he knows his stuff): http://www.larrydmarshall.com/book-review-creative-sketching-workshop-by-pete-scully/
So…if you’re thinking of delving into sketching it will I hope this book will be help you get out there and get sketching! Hope you like it!
And yes, it does have FIRE HYDRANTS…